WHAT: Come sit at my table and write with me. You and I and others will become the writing circle. I will provide the writing prompts that launch us into timed writing sessions. All you need is pen and paper (or laptop) and a willingness to write, share with others, and respond to what you hear.
WHO: Me and you and other willing-to-do-it writers.
WHEN: THE WRITE WAY WRITING CIRCLE – Remainder of 2018
- Every 3rd Sunday of the month,
- October 21, November 18 and December 16
- from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
AND / OR
- 4-week Monday Morning Series from 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- November Series Dates: 5, 12, 19 and 26;
- December Series Dates: 3, 10, 17 [skip 12/24] and 31.
AND / OR
- LIVE online with the Zoom platform, date/time TBA
WHY: The cheerleader in me wants to encourage and support other writers. Everyone has a voice that deserves to be heard! The solitary writer in me wants to create a community of writers because writing can be lonely work. I believe in breaking that isolation.
WHERE: My home in Martinez, CA. I will provide my home address to registered participants. Also, LIVE online with Zoom (online video platform), later in October. Stay Tuned!
HOW: Using the Amherst Writers & Artists (AWA) Method. I am an AWA affiliate and certified workshop facilitator.
HOW MUCH: Weekday sessions are held four consecutive Monday mornings, with a week or two off between a 4-week series. Your commitment is for all 4 weeks. The 4-week series fee is $175, payable before or on the first day of the series.
The 3rd-Sunday-of-the-month sessions, and the online sessions are stand-alone; your commitment is for the one session, and you are welcome to come every month. The fee is $50 each time.
HERE’S WHAT HAPPENS AT THE WRITE WAY TABLE:
- We sit together and we write!
- I will provide beverages and snacks.
- Participants arrive 5 to 15 minutes before our start time. This allows time to settle in, choose a spot at the table, take off your coat, pull out your paper and pen, serve yourself some tea, say “hi” to the others…you get the picture. I don’t want this part to feel rushed. The idea is to arrive. Fully.
- We begin promptly at the start time, with a few minutes of guided meditation to get grounded and present. (Don’t let that word “meditation” scare you. We’re just going to get quiet, together and consciously.)
- I will provide 2-3 prompts each time we gather. The prompts will vary: poems, prose, single-sentence quotes, a word or two, images, aromas, objects, music and even flavors.
- I will read the written prompts out loud; other prompts will be passed around or displayed. We will write for timed sessions lasting 10-20 minutes. Your writing may launch from the prompt provided, but if something else is begging to be written, by all means, go for it.
- After writing, we will each read what we’ve written out loud to the group. This is optional, but you will get much more from the experience if you participate fully. However, no pressure.
- We will then offer positive feedback to the writer following the AWA guidelines (which will be explained). Providing feedback is optional, but again, there is much to be gained from both receiving and giving feedback. The feedback offered to the writers in our Circle is always positive. You will get a sense of what your strengths are and what others appreciate about your writing. This is about encouraging your writer’s soul to come out and play. This is not about conforming to someone else’s idea about what “good writing” is.
- Rinse & repeat once or twice (with short breaks), depending on our pace and time remaining.
- The AWA Method is surprisingly effective for calling forth The Muse and silencing that pesky Inner Critic. This is a place where your unique voice is welcome. The environment will be supportive, encouraging and safe. That is my promise to you.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Do you already write? Do you have a project underway? Have you been toying with the idea of writing something new or different? Are you dipping your toe into the writing pond for the first time? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, The Write Way Writing Circle is for you.
- Fiction? Non-Fiction? Prose? Poetry? Script dialogue? Sure! Whatever wants to be written. And no experience necessary. Honest.
I am a published writer and I blog. I am also an AWA-certified workshop facilitator.
My secret? I am a consistent writer. For me, it all started with creating and maintaining a writing practice.
I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE NOTE: I share my home with Lulu, my small-ish (25 lbs.) dog. She is a 12-year old Bichon/Shih-tzu mix. When you first arrive, she will be very excited and will want to smell you and say “hello”. Once we settle, she does too. As much as I would love for you to join us, if you are nervous around dogs, please take this into consideration.
Because she is half Bichon, people who are normally allergic to dogs (like me!) do not seem to have as much of an allergic reaction to her, but you be the judge. If you want to stop by and meet her before committing to joining us, please contact me. I want you to be comfortable.