WHAT: Come sit at my table and write with me. You and I and others will become the writing circle. I’m calling mine The Write Way. I will provide the writing prompts that launch us into timed writing sessions. All you need is pen, paper and a willingness to sit, write and share with others. (Don’t be put off by the sharing part; that’s always optional.)
WHO: Me and you and other willing-to-do-it writers.
WHERE: My home in Martinez, CA
WHEN: Mornings 10:00 a.m. – noon, OR Evenings 7:00-9:30 p.m. Please inquire via email email@example.com or phone/text 925-408-3310 about specific days/dates. From time to time, I will offer a class on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
WHY: The cheerleader in me wants to encourage and support other writers. The solitary writer in me wants to create a community of writers because writing can be lonely work. I believe in breaking that isolation. The exceptional procrastinator in me knows if I schedule myself to write with others, I will actually do it. Accountability. Need I say more?
HOW: Using the Amherst Writers & Artists (AWA) Method
HOW MUCH: The cost is $25 per session.
HERE’S WHAT HAPPENS AT THE WRITE WAY TABLE:
- We sit together and we write!
- I will provide beverages and snacks.
- Participants arrive 5 to 15 minutes before our start time. This allows time to settle in, choose a spot at the table, take off your coat, pull out your paper and pen, serve yourself some tea, say “hi” to the others…you get the picture. I don’t want this part to feel rushed. The idea is to arrive. Fully.
- We begin promptly at the start time, with a few minutes of guided meditation to get grounded and present. (Don’t let that word “meditation” scare you. We’re just going to get quiet, together and consciously.
- I will provide 2-3 prompts each time we gather. The prompts will vary: poems, prose, single-sentence quotes, a word or two, images, aromas, music and even flavors.
- I will read the literary prompts out loud, and in the case of non-literary prompts, items will be passed around. We will write for timed sessions lasting 10-20 minutes. Your writing may launch from the prompt provided, but if something else is begging to be written, by all means, go for it.
- After writing, we will each read what we’ve written out loud to the group. This is optional, but you will get much more from the experience if you participate fully. However, no pressure.
- We will then offer positive feedback to the writer following the AWA guidelines (which will be explained). Providing feedback is optional, but again, there is much to be gained from both receiving and giving feedback. The feedback offered to the writers in our Circle is always positive. You will get a sense of what your strengths are and what others appreciate about your writing. This is about encouraging your writer’s soul to come out and play. This is not about conforming to someone else’s idea about what “good writing” is.
- Rinse & repeat once or twice (with short breaks), depending on our pace and time remaining.
- The method I use is surprisingly effective for calling forth The Muse and silencing that pesky Inner Critic. The environment will be supportive, encouraging and safe. That is my promise to you.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Do you already write? Do you have a project underway? Have you been toying with the idea of writing something new or different? Are you dipping your toe into the writing pond for the first time? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, The Write Way Writing Circle is for you.
- Fiction? Non-Fiction? Either! Both! And no experience necessary. Honest.
I am not yet “published” but I blog; I am not a “trained” writer (no MFA here), but I am becoming an experienced and consistent writer. It all starts with creating and maintaining a writing practice.
I can be reached at 925-408-3310 (call or text); or firstname.lastname@example.org
My home address will be provided to registered participants.
PLEASE NOTE: I share my home with Lulu, my small-ish (25 lbs.) dog. She is a Bichon/Shih-tzu mix (half circus dog; half empress). As much as I would love for you to join us, if you are allergic to or nervous around dogs, please take this into consideration.